I turned to cron/crontab in order to run an Automator application and Transmit to (sometimes) smoothly synchronise the daily movies on my iMac with those on the remote server. Then I learned much of the hard work I was scripting could be done from within my beloved EvoCam. However, EvoCam does not appear to be able to handle the archiving part of the operation. At least not to my specifications.
A few days ago I wrote about the new features I have added to the FarmCam. While writing the entry I stumbled upon actions settings in EvoCam that allowed me even more flexibility in the ways I share the views. However, I had a few concerns before I could decide if it would be a viable replacement for the current method.
My experiments in the last few days have resulted in mixed — but encouraging — results, and as promised I am sharing them with you. Read More
For years I have been frustrated by a nagging issue where the screen of the webcam goes green. Sometimes in flickers, and sometimes for long periods. I always assumed the issue was something over which I had little control. When I was using a digital camcorder, I had to hack it by leaving a tape out to have it in continuous record mode. Plus I was using an RCA to USB converter to get the signal from the camera to the iMac. I just assumed there was something amiss with my hardware.
When the issue continued after I introduced the current outdoor, networked camera I still blamed my hack jobs. The camera is currently connected to a POE which is then connected to an old Airport Express, which in turn is an extention of the wireless network to which the iMac is also connected. You can probably see why I would assume the issue is with the creator of this Rube Goldberg contraption.
So convinced that I never even tried to research other options.
However, lately the amount of green being captured and displayed has been a source of frustration, and I decided to take a stab at potential solutions. I had already considered using the extra length of the Ethernet cable from the camera, and running it directly to the Airport Extreme router, which would remove the POE and the Airport Express from the setup. Or even having the camera wired directly to my Apple Mac Mini server and run all the software on it rather than my office desktop.
I still would like to do one of these things, but some poking about led me a random reply on a message board where the person suggested making “any adjustment” to the white balance settings. White balance in digital photography essentially refers to adjusting colors so that the image looks more natural. Most light sources do not emit purely white color. They have what’s referred to as a color temperature. For the most part I rarely have never given much thought to white balance beyond the default settings.
Logging into the web interface for the Hikvision camera, I looked at the settings all of which are presets. I tried each preset and sometimes the results where obvious and other times not so much. The obvious results were mostly the extremes. The image would have a bright green shading or it was crystal clear. I also noticed I got different results if I adjusted the night settings.
The plan is to try these new settings and watch the daily timelapses to look for evidence of the green screens. If none materialise then I will make note of them, and try tweaking the settings to see if I can improve the results or not.
The bad news is that I may have to forgo any night vision settings, which is disappointing as I just replaced the recently burned out lights on the barn with new LEDs. The good news is that the daytime image has improved significantly, and so far the “Natural Light” white balance setting has not shown any sign of the green phantoms.
Stay tuned, and let me know if you ever see any unusual images, frequent green screens, etc. I’ll report findings later.
Ok, now that I got your attention.
I had planned to debut the new webcam on New Year’s Day, but I didn’t so much get bogged down with the adding of the new camera to the mix as much as with the details of the look of the website and the automation process. I wanted to get it as close to right as I could, and each time I would start to write something about some part of the process I would come up with a way to improve it. For the past week or so, I have been playing with the look of the site, checking that the Automator process is functioning as it should, and making sure the place is nice and tidy for any new visitors. It certainly isn’t perfect. Like everything else on this site it is “always a work in progress.”
In a recent post I wrote about using Playlists and Playlist folders to collect and organize one’s programs. In today’s post I am going to ramble on about how to use Smart Playlists to help visualize your music, and perhaps help create your program playlists.
This post isn’t nearly exhaustive, and is only intended to get one started on using Smart Playlists to help organize one’s radio show playlists, with a few tips on Smart Playlists in general thrown in.